Friday, December 23, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 23: A walk to forget ...

Friday, Dec 23: Destress
What did you do this year when things got hectic? How did you unwind?

Stress is everywhere. Everyday, we have a little bit of it. Perhaps it's just a morsel of stress, comparable to a bonbon sized taste. Other times, it's a bonbon with all its friends, relatives, cousins-twice-removed, all riding along shotgun in the locomotive engine.  Let me just say - this year, I'm kinda surprised I wasn't given a share of stock in Advil with all the headaches I've encountered.
However, I will say, one of the better ways I try to de-stress myself is to go for a walk. I know - it sounds crazy. But I don't mean going for a walk around the block ... I mean going for A WALK!

A short walk for me is 2 miles. A longer walk, perhaps Broad Ripple to 96th St. or to at least 465 on the North side, and back. I did make it to Carmel & back one afternoon when I really needed to vent. When I lived on the west side, I found (more like used/abused) the Eagle Creek Greenway, next to the Colts HQ, and Eagle Creek Park. Every once in a while, I even enjoy a round of golf hoofin' it, rather than cartin' it - in fact, I'd prefer it, but sometimes, the folks I play golf with aren't up to the challenge.

There's something about losing one's self in a walk, or a run for that matter. Every now and then, I take my iPhone or iPod (still rocking the 5G, mind you). Camber goes with me from time-to-time, but after about 3-4 miles, I might as well be walking a 60 lb. bag of potatoes. Other times, you know, sometimes, its good to leave technology at home, take my ID and a single credit card, and just go.

And after a good walk of losing myself into nature, I'm better. Stress may not necessarily be 100% alleviated, but my thoughts are gathered, my plan of attack for the rest of the day is readied, and I'm good.

I've already registered for the 2012 MiniMarathon. It'll be my 4th go-around. My last one was in '09, and it was the first time I broke 3 hours (2:48). I've already set a goal of 2:35 for this year, which will mean I will need to be running at least 5 of the 13.1 miles. It's do-able, but you've gotta start with a good base. Trust me, I may not look like the picture of perfect health, but outside of an cousin-in-law addicted to Ironmans, I've done 4 more half-marathons than most of my family :)

So go lose yourself in a walk. Just go. Take your ID & credit card, leave all technology behind. You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment