Saturday, December 17, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 16: Disappearing money isn't so bad ...

OK, so I'm a day late. Yesterday, I was rolling northeast by 6:30am Central to head to Indianapolis for Christmas shopping. I was all over the city and surrounding areas, from Speedway, to downtown, to Keystone, to Castleton, to Noblesville, to Carmel, to Zionsville, to Avon, and finally to Mooresville. In the end - my shopping's done. Then again, would that really be considered "shopping"? I didn't really peruse merchandise, but rather had a one-track-mind at a store for a person or two, went after it, thought about it, then plunked down the credit card and moved on.

Anyway, let's catch myself up, although this one will be brief.

Friday, Dec 16: Helping Out
How did you get involved in your community this year?

I wish I could say I got involved in my community this year, and from one angle, perhaps I did, but from a different angle, perhaps I didn't do as much as I should. So let's try this - did I volunteer any time for the betterment of the community? Let me answer that question this way - yes and no.

To be fair, I guess you could say I didn't do any community volunteer work. Normally, I don't mind it at all, and would like to do so more often.  This year, though, has been an utter whirlwind, in regards to wrapping up school, job hunting, having to move, getting pseudo-settled into two places in S. Illinois, doing a contract up in Chicago, etc.

Now, the other part to the question is: Did I help out when I could? Absolutely, I did.

When I see Girl Scouts selling cookies at a store, I'm a sucker for Thin Mints, so I pick up a box (or 2, or 3, or ... ). I know my money goes to a good cause, and I hope it goes directly to that particular Girl Scout group. I participated in the Mutt Strut at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which benefits the Indianapolis Humane Society and several of the kennels in that organization. So I have confidence my money is going to be used properly. I also attended in the May Indy TweetUp "Beat Cancer Bash", a benefit celebration and mixer with Racing For Cancer, whereby for the price of admission, you can rub elbows with IndyCar drivers, teams, fans, and everyone in between. I even won an signed IndyCar t-shirt in the silent auction.

I'm sure I'm missing a few other times whereby I have contributed money to groups. Being unemployed has someone put a damper on my generosity for the time being, but my heart still tries to be in the right place for causes that I have vested interest in.

So, in closing ... even if you haven't been a true "volunteer" this year, you can still have a generous heart. Find a cause that's near & dear to your heart. Because, hey, life isn't always smooth sailing - one day, it could be you that's on the receiving end of generosity. Pay it forward, and your heart will be rewarded.

Links Of Interest:
Indianapolis Mutt Strut:  http://www.indymuttstrut.org/
Racing For Cancer: http://racingforcancer.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment