Tuesday, December 6, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 2: Fav. '11 Music

This month, I'm delving into the wide world of blogging for the first time. As many of you know, I have kicked around the idea of starting my own blog (or blogs), whether it be a personal blog, a blog regarding usability & user experience design, or yes - an IndyCar blog. But, let's be honest - in order for me to start a blog, I need to find out for myself, firsthand, whether I can do a blog, let along keep a regimented schedule of blog posts.

Last week, my four entries for Think Kit 2011 were specifically geared using my personal Twitter account (http://www.twitter.com/djcraske).  Continuing to go back in time to last week - for Day 2.

Friday, Dec 2: Favorite Music
You know SmallBox likes the rock. We can't resist asking about your album of the year. Why did it grab you?


OK, I'm going to be honest, I'm a child of the 80's & 90's. Yeah, maybe I'm getting old, but I know what I like.  My youngest sister just called me "Old School".

Now, many of my favorite bands and musicians I grew up with are still active, but, like myself, they're getting older, and they like to work a little more on their terms, rather than music label terms.  Thus, new albums from them don't come out quite as frequent.  Therefore, in all honestly, since the start of 2009, I think I have purchased a grand total of five (5) new albums. In 2011 - I purchased one.  Yes, a whole, whopping one album.  And I didn't even purchase a physical album; it was purchased via iTunes. That, alone, is a change for me, as I'm still getting used to not having CD's in my posession.

So, what album did I buy?

Image provided by Amazon.com

So, who is Chickenfoot. Think of them as a good cocktail:
  • 2 parts Van Halen
  • 1 part Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • 1 part guitar virtuoso genius
Combine all parts in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well using Peavey amplifiers. Strain over ice. Garnish with ample supply of both Jack Daniels & Cabo Wabo Tequila.

To be honest, I'm not sure how the group officially came together. Sammy Hagar has been a rock legend since the 70's, and joined Van Halen after David Lee Roth's firing. Michael Anthony played bass for Van Halen since they started. Both Sammy & Michael started "The Other Half", which played "Van Hagar" songs during Sammy's tours. Somehow, they got Joe Satriani, a guitar freakazoid virtuoso, and Chad Smith, drummer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and just as crazy as they come, and made an album. The self-titled Chickenfoot album was outstanding, the tour was well-received, and fans started thinking there is such a thing as a super-group.

When it was announced Chickenfoot was going to come out with a second album. I was giddy with excitement, but also leary. Rock groups have all come and gone - it's the nature of the beast (and fickle tastes of music lovers). There's always the fear of the sophomore slump, churning out a second album that is considered sub-par, mostly created for just the additional spending money. All four of these guys don't need the money or fame - they have it already. If they were really going to put together a second album, I wanted to hear something just as powerful as their debut together, but I also wanted to hear four guys jamming, having fun, and being creative.

Mission accomplished.

I think it's pretty safe to say Big Foot is the signature song of the album. It's big, it's bold, it's a good-old-fashioned rock song. Plus, the video to the song is -- wait, they still make music videos?!? COOL!!


Other songs worth at least a listen to: Different Devil, Three and a Half Letters, and my personal favorite, Something Gone Wrong. But, to be honest, there really isn't a bad song on the album. Yes, upon first listen, one may say a track or two are, um, "out there" - but give it time, the album itself will grow on you. And if you like, check out their self-titled debut album, too, which really shows the world how a supergroup should be put together.

Now if only Chickenfoot would visit Indianapolis. How we could be so lucky.

*** 


To purchase Chickenfoot 3, here are two links.  Enjoy!

Amazon: http://amzn.com/B005K2KCPG
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/chickenfoot-iii/id460334775

No comments:

Post a Comment