Wednesday, December 21, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 21: I'll buy THAT for $20 ...

I don't want to say we're in the homestretch of the SmallBox #ThinkKit11 blog project, but alas we are. Day 21 has special meaning to me ...

Wednesday, Dec 21: Creation
What did you make this year? Whether something personal, like a song or some art, or a work project, share your process and the end result of your creation.

Of all my creations this year, I am most proud of my Masters project prototype. So, hold up - why am I proud of something I built that is, to be honest, non-functional? A fair question, requiring a fair answer.

After performing a significant research effort on the nuances of mobile application design, I created a prototype and (more importantly) a test plan for a proposed INDYCAR Live Timing & Scoring device for the Apple iPhone. It was in response to Verizon's announcement of creating similar apps for Verizon phones, to which Verizon iPhones were not announced yet.

So, what was the challenge? First, how does one even go about creating a mobile application prototype, without the need to go through Apple's approval process within iTunes? Second, how do you make an iPhone app? More importantly, how do you make a prototype app that you can test on an iPhone, and yet still call it a disposable prototype? The Fall 2010 semester made me answer those questions.

In the end, I created a HTML-based prototype for a proposed INDYCAR Live Timing & Scoring app for the iPhone. In February, I conducted several usability tests using the prototype successfully to gain feedback towards possible design directions worth future investigation. Doing a usability test is more than "What do you like/dislike?" It's peering into a test subject's thoughts, feelings, engagement with technology. It sounds easy, but it isn't.

However, statements like: "I would buy that from iTunes right now for $20. Will it be available for the first race this year?" ... those are the ones that make you realize what you're doing (or what you want to be doing) is worth all the hard work.

Below are a few quick screenshots of the mobile application itself, along with a few links to various documents from my capstone project. You're welcome to review if you'd like. Incidentally, I did submit these documents to INDYCAR personnel, and have received many compliments from them. Now ... if only I could get my foot in the door with them ... please?

Screenshots:


Links of interest:
Access the iPhone prototype:
  • Link to instructions and test script
  • Note: this app was made with iPhones in mind, though it is unknown how other mobile devices will act accordingly, since it is - after all - a web site.
Final Presentation:
  • Link to Final Presentation
  • Note: This is a 2.7MB pdf, so be warned. I have included speaker notes
  • One day, I'll give this presentation via YouTube, so you can hear my personal/professional thoughts, too.
Final Report
  • Link to Final Report 
  • Still trying to find a good journal or organization to publish this report, although, to be honest, I did submit this report to INDYCAR, so it make it into the right hands (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment