Friday, December 9, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 9: Home is where the heart is ...

In doing a little reconnaissance, it looks like the next 2-3 days worth of blogs could be a little difficult for me, primarily because, well, to be honest ... I'm unemployed and living with my family back in Southern Illinois.  But, I'm going to make the most out of the next few posts - let's see where my wandering mind leads me for Day 9.

Friday, Dec 9: Home
Why do you live where you do? What makes it home?

When I first moved to Indianapolis, there were three factors that dictated where I was going to live. First, I needed the space for most of my belongings, as I would be moving from a full-size, 3-bed/2-bath house w/ 2 car garage. Second, at the time, I was under the impression I would only need the rental for 9 months, tops.  After that time, I would have my certification in HCI (not the full Masters), and will have landed a position whereby I could use it properly. Third, I needed to find a place that would accept my a golden retriever, which is little bigger than a chihuahua.

I found a place in Broad Ripple, about 2 blocks from "the strip", and right on the Monon Trail.

Believe it or not, while I had lived in Lafayette for almost 7 years, I had only heard a little about Broad Ripple, but I hadn't really experienced it. Once I moved in and got settled, I knew I was in for a great experience. I was 20 min. from my rental to IUPUI & downtown, 10 min. to several malls, and less than 5 min. to wonderful shops, restaurants, and bars. Plus, as I really enjoy walking and exercising, I lived on the Monon Trail, one of the most well-known greenways in the US. I never realized how much Indianapolis actually walks, runs, and bikes, until I stepped onto the Monon.

So what made Broad Ripple home? It's quaintness, for starters. I loved the idea of walking 2 blocks to watch a high school football game (either Broad Ripple or Bishop Chatard would be playing), or even take in a basketball game, in order to support the local teams & students. I would regularly take Camber to the Broad Ripple Farmers Market every Saturday to get fresh veggies and herbs - not to mention a few treats for Camber from Three Dog Bakery.  Being able to walk 2 blocks for a bagel & coffee, or for Chinese food from Side Wok Café, or to Biscuits, the best Mexican breakfast café in Central Indiana. When I was growing up in Southern Illinois, I would walk or ride my bike everywhere - because in a town of 5,000 people, you didn't necessarily need a car.  So, too, is the case to get around Broad Ripple.

However, one of the primary drawbacks to the 'Rip' is the cost of renting/owning a residence. It can be really expensive, not just for students, but for everyone.  My rental was manageable for the short-time I was there, but when I decided I would complete the Masters, it only made sense for me to relocate again. I moved from Broad Ripple to the west side of Indianapolis prior to my final full school year at IUPUI. To give you an idea of the cost savings - the total *NET* savings from 'Rip" to the west side paid for my final five graduate-level courses at IUPUI in 12 months, including gas to get to/from school.

Still, there wasn't a week that went by that I didn't stop in the Broad Ripple area at some point. I still preferred to take Camber to the B.R. Dog park at least once a week, mostly to get her out of the condominium we moved to, but to also give her some fun. When Scotty Wise opened Thr3e Wise Men Brewing Company on the strip, I was patronizing it at least once a week for a growler refill, and every now and then, a large pizza found its way into my truck (outstanding - a must try). I still made it to the Farmers Market once in a while, but only made it to one football game in 2010.

Now, with me living back in Southern Illinois (not by choice, mind you - still hoping for the best), the heartstrings are being pulled more taut towards Indianapolis. I did a short-term contract in Chicago this fall, but in fairness, I didn't feel comfortable there. I didn't feel a sense of community. Where I am now, yes I am with my family members, and that's all good, but many of my friends from high school have moved on, with families & lives of their own. At my reunion this past October, it was great to see many of my HS friends and to catch up, but I could tell cliques had changed to "those that still lived here" and "those that no longer live here". At the time, I was neither. I hadn't lived in Lawrenceville since 1994, but have treated my return as completely temporary. My heart, my home, is still in Indianapolis.

I've promised myself that if I were to ever move back to Indianapolis permanently, my search will start in Broad Ripple and "ripple" outwards. I know it's expensive, I know there are some concerns for crime, esp. on the Monon Trail at night, and I know that many houses in the area are smaller and older than what I owned in Lafayette. But, for all of the potential negatives, the positives for me shine brighter.

Now ... about getting a bagel sandwich named for me at Ripple Bagel & Deli ...

No comments:

Post a Comment