Saturday, December 10, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 10: Office? What office?

Welcome to Day 10 of the SmallBox #ThinkKit11 challenge. It's been fun so far, but there have been days where it's been a little more of a challenge. Perhaps that's why I'm participating - sometimes inner reflection can give one a shot in the chops you need to prepare for the New Year.

Saturday, Dec 10: Work
Describe your work environment or desk. Did you make any changes to it this year? How do you work within that space?

I won't describe my work areas prior to my latest graduate degree. Not worth the time. Let's just say the words "cubicle hell" and "dungeon" were used frequently. My office in Lafayette was also the storm shelter area, so when the tornado sirens went off, we kept working - which was usu. a bad thing, because many of my end users would come visit me for spur-of-the-moment "emergencies."

Now, I can't say I never have had a top-floor, corner-office before. I had one of those while I was at my contract position in the Chicago suburbs earlier this year. You know, it wasn't too bad of a view (see #ThinkKit11 Day 1 - Photo #3), but the office? I had a desk with two drawers, in a room with 5 other desks. No credenza. No bookshelf. No monitor. No keyboard. Just me, a chair that had seen better days, a small laptop, and my own whiteboard. No offense to that organization, but I've seen more personality from pond scum than that office space.

So, what does my office space look like now? Well, it would help to have employment first and foremost. Thus, my office is a moving target, especially making use of my laptop and a decent external hard drive.


The sleeping dog at my feet ... well, that's a bonus plan, I guess.
 
I know it sounds nuts, but this is truly my office -- for now. I'm a gypsy. A hobo. A hermit crab, looking for two strong things: coffee & a WiFi signal. Don't get me wrong, I could theoretically get used to something like this, but I'd really like to have some sort of office in 2012. A desk, maybe a credenza, a small bookcase ... a door might be nice, too. Perhaps even a whiteboard of my own to create and ponder designs, test results, ideation, etc.

The dog ... well, that could be the bonus plan to the office. Golden retrievers = instant stress relief, payable in dog treats. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment