Monday, December 5, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 1: My Best Photo of 2011

This month, I'm delving into the wide world of blogging for the first time. As many of you know, I have kicked around the idea of starting my own blog (or blogs), whether it be a personal blog, a blog regarding usability & user experience design, or yes - an IndyCar blog. But, let's be honest - in order for me to start a blog, I need to find out for myself, firsthand, whether I can do a blog, let along keep a regimented schedule of blog posts.

Last week, my four entries for Think Kit 2011 were specifically geared using my personal Twitter account (http://www.twitter.com/djcraske).  Well, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't include those previous thoughts in the blog as well.  Let's go back in time - to last week.

Thursday, Dec 1: Favorite Photo
Have a snapshot that encapsulates your year? Or one that represents a great moment? Maybe it just looks dang cool. Show 'n tell time — let's see those pics!

I'm a closet-shutterbug. Yes, I have a digital camera, and I kinda-sorta know how to use it.  In fairness, I've never taken a photography class.  I know what shutterspeed is, and I know the autofocus on my camera's fairly good.  After that, well ... you're guess is as good as mine.  Let's see some pictures:

#5 Hi - Who are you? ... At the IndyCar Kentucky 300 race in October, I was on pit lane during the race itself, and just happened to capture this. I'm not sure if the little blonde girl on the other side of the fence was this crew member's daughter or not, but the look on her face trying to figure out who the funny man in the helmet and green suit was - priceless.


#4 King Tut's Court ... Southern Illinois is known as "Little Egypt", because of the city of Cairo (pronounced Kay-row), the rivers (Mississippi & Ohio), and the fertile grounds. SIU-Carbondale's mascot is the "Saluki", an Egyptian hunting dog, and the oldest breed of canines. Butler may have Blue II, but King Tut is truly king in Little Egypt.  Welcome to King Tut's Dawg Pound!


#3 Rainbows Over Chicago ... I'm not shy - I've always enjoyed visiting Chicago. My grandparents lived here, my father grew up here. It's a special city. During my short stint working in Chicago, I look out to see the Chicago skyline, and ...

 

#2 Eyes of Innocence ... My niece has these electric blue eyes, even for a 6-yr-old. She's a comedian, a drama queen, an engineer - a fireball of energy. I need to stick her in a go-kart sometime, because she'll be flat third time


***

... and my #1 photo for 2011: First Lap


OK, so I didn't take this picture myself - someone took it for me. I am an IndyCar fan - I make no bones about it. Thus, when I finally got the opportunity to do the Indianapolis Humane Society's "Mutt Strut" at the Speedway, I had to do it - unemployment & schoolwork be damned. This was also the first time I had taken my dog, Camber, there. So, following a morning bagel, she and I were ready for our lap around IMS.

People often ask me why I named my dog "Camber". It's an automotive term that describes the slight tilt on a pair of wheels on a given axle, whereby positive camber indicates that the bottoms are closer together than the tops, and negative camber indicates the opposite. I wanted to name my dog after something "racing related" and "Camber" was the only term I could come up with that sounded like a feminine name.

To be honest, I don't like having my picture taken. I'm not sure why - must be "big-guy-itis" or something.  But sometimes ... you've gotta put modesty & embarrassment aside, and just be the person whom you are. This picture - for 2011 - perfectly defines who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment