Thursday, December 15, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 15: Roundball indulgence ...

As a disclaimer, I might have to do Friday's a day late and do two entries on Saturday. I'm actually heading back to Indianapolis Friday morning (early-early) to wrap up Christmas shopping for 2011. So, I'll be out and about going who-knows-where for who-knows-what. Should be fun. Wonder if I should poke my head into the SmallBox offices to introduce myself? Anyway - Onto Day 15:

Thursday, Dec 15: Indulgence
What did you indulge in this year? Get yourself or someone something extra special? Do something you've never done before?
 

Indulgence is a word I don't get to use regularly these days. It's kinda hard to indulge in one's self when you are (A) unemployed, and (B) going 90 MPH with your hair on fire trying to wrap up graduate school. Indulgence for me in 2011 was going to Panera Bread for Sunday bagels with my dog, rather than heading to a grocery store for the same. It's funny how priorities really change when you've been unemployed for as long as I have (nearing 3 years).

In any regards, perhaps the indulgences I had during 2011 were not necessarily indulgences, but rather keeping traditions from when I was employed for so long. One of those traditions is the Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament.

Each year since the tournament's inception in 1998, a long-time high school friend of mine (whom is now a season ticket holder for Illinois Basketball) and I get together for the tournament. We're Illinois graduates, and proud Illini fans. Every year before my relocation to Indianapolis, we would get a hotel room in downtown Chicago or Indianapolis, go to all the games, and just have a great time. We'd go find a good place to eat and drink, and - you know - just be kids again, just like we were back in 2nd/3rd grade or so. Since moving to Indianapolis, we've stayed at my place the last 2 tournaments - once in Broad Ripple, once from the West side.

The last 2-3 years, we've added a new addition to our two-some, his fiancé (now wife), whom is an Indiana grad (as am I - officially). Thankfully, she is also a basketball fan, and I think it's safe to say eventually - whenever the day (or decade) happens, my girlfriend/wife will also join the three of us for four days of college basketball.

This year was a little more special. He mentioned this year that we might not be able to go out as much as we normally do. I took this rather odd, but just started wondering. Sure enough, they had found out they were now expecting their first child. Nevertheless, there was still plenty of fun between the three of us -- and we had an automatic designated driver! Score! A good meal from Ted's Montana Grill to celebrate was certainly in order, and enjoyed by all 3.5 of us! In September, a future Illini or Hoosier came into the world and everyone's doing great.

Next year, he has already stated there's a good possibility he won't be able to continue our tradition of attending, due to his fatherhood. Surely, our tradition will not end with the birth of his son, can it? I'm now in a state of convincing the grandparents to "borrow some of their time" so he can be himself again, but I dunno. So - Brady ... if you read this ... knock it off. Get us tickets! We got some basketball to watch in March!

And Sammy - hope you don't mind. One day, you, too, may join in our guy's long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment