Wednesday, December 28, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 28: New tricks for a new dog ...

Wednesday, Dec 28: New Skills
What new skill do you want to add to your repertoire?

Gees, there's so much I'd like to be able to learn over the next 366 days (remember - 2012 is a leap year), I'm not sure where to start. But, I'll try limit myself somewhat:

1. I would like an opportunity to really become adept at cascading style sheets (CSS). Now - hold up. I have 2 Masters degrees in computer-related programs, and I don't know CSS? While I do know the concepts of CSS, and have been able to use some of it, I think it's safe to say I've only scratched the mere surface of what I can do with it. If there's someone that would love to show me the CSS creative ropes, I'll be a willing student ready to put nose-to-grindstone.

2. I would like to improve my digital photography skills. OK, this one needs a little work. I have a Canon PowerShot S2 IS camera, which I've had for at least 4-5 years. It's a solid piece, though it's showing age. I've had many photographers (professional and semi-amateur) look at my shots and say I have potential. However, when it comes to aperture, F's, lens attachments, and all the associated terminology bells and whistles professional photogs know by heart, I'm a clueless wonder. I would really love to find a class or non-credit program, whereby I can learn these things.

2A. I would like to become more adept at Photoshop or Fireworks. I have a good base with Fireworks, since I've worked with that software for a while, but even still, I'm pretty confident I've only used < 25% of its full capability. Photoshop, to a lesser extent. Everyone says Photoshop is the all-powerful, all-everything, and yada-yada. For some people, that's awesome, but for me ... I don't think I need to be all-powerful, but much more knowledgeable.

3. I would like to learn how to physically build a computer. All of my desktop & laptop computers have been purchased through a store or online. Just once, I'd like to build my own computer - to my own preposterously ridiculous specifications. I'm not a hardware expert by any stretch, but I've installed memory, hard drives, video cards, audio cards, etc. - how hard can it really be to put all the pieces together and create a modern-day Frankenstein?

One last one ... non-computer related.

4.  I would like to learn how to diet & exercise properly. Look, I'm not a picture of perfect health. I need to get better at maintaining a proper diet, and getting onto a regular exercise regimen. I think one of my current downfalls is that I'm unemployed, which means I currently have to watch my finances much more closely, which means eating cheaper (less healthier) food, and not joining a fitness club. A fitness club may not necessarily be required, but let's be honest - exercising with someone who will keep you motivated is better than no motivation whatsoever. If I get back to Indianapolis soon, I'd like to have some help. I also recognize losing weight is a long journey, not a quick fix ... It's time to get on the slow boat to China and get this thing going.

***
So, that's my list of skills I hope to learn (or learn more) about in 2012. Any/All suggestions towards these are greatly welcomed! Until tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment