Tuesday, December 6, 2011

#ThinkKit11 Day 4: Fav. '11 Meal

This month, I'm delving into the wide world of blogging for the first time. As many of you know, I have kicked around the idea of starting my own blog (or blogs), whether it be a personal blog, a blog regarding usability & user experience design, or yes - an IndyCar blog. But, let's be honest - in order for me to start a blog, I need to find out for myself, firsthand, whether I can do a blog, let along keep a regimented schedule of blog posts. 

Last week, my four entries for Think Kit 2011 were specifically geared using my personal Twitter account (http://www.twitter.com/djcraske).  Continuing to go back in time to last week - for one last time - for Day  4.  After this, I'll be caught up - I think ... although I've still got 1-2 days to get myself officially caught up.

Sunday, Dec 4: Favorite Meal
Did you eat something this year that knocked your socks off? Maybe you tried something new that's now a fave. Describe those tasty morsels.

After graduating from IUPUI, and really stressing from my job search, my parents told me I need to take a break. Even though I had not been employed for some time, I had not really taken a vacation - a true vacation. I treated school just like full-time employment: 5 days a week, minimum 40+ hour weeks, no vacation days. To be honest, I'm glad I did. It kept me regimented in a work-force environment, and my degree coursework seemed to require more work than my previous masters degree.

So, it was time for a road trip. And of all the places I chose ... Baltimore, Maryland, for the Inaugural INDYCAR Baltimore Grand Prix. I have been to oval racing, and have seen a road course race, but I had never seen a street course race. This would be a WHOLE new adventure.

After driving out to Baltimore (in a rental car that had no cruise control and no usable power jacks - thanks, Enterprise) ....  :-/

Friday morning was going to be a day of practice for all race teams in Baltimore. This was the first time race cars had been on the streets of Baltimore, so every team was trying to figure out the course.  The amount of track activity was only matched by the amount of activity back in the garages.  Fortunately, I got to witness both, splurging for the three-day garage pass. It was there I found several of my "IndyCar Tweeps" - Twitter friends whom I've met in person, whether it was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway or at one of the various "TweetUps" at races. Two Tweeps were from Virginia, one from Georgia, and one from Minnesota, and me from Illinois/Indiana. After all the practices had ended, the five of us decided to find a place to eat, but we had absolutely no clue about good places in Baltimore.

As we were exiting the garage area, a gal walked up and handed us a flyer for a brewpub right next to the race circuit. After the long day of being outside, we could all use a beer, so we said we'd try it out & check the vibe. Best impromptu decision of the weekend!

Location: Pratt Street Ale House, Baltimore, Maryland





Cities around the US are known for their own individual food (even if they have a different variety of the same food). Chicago has deep-dish pizza, Kansas City is known for BBQ, but so is Memphis and about every large metro in Texas. And yes, I tell friends that Indianapolis's signature food is the tenderloin sandwich. For Baltimore, it's crab cakes. And not just any crab cakes, but crab cakes that come in from the Inner Harbor every day.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Baltimore ... order the crab cakes. My first bite ....

(remember the scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ... Indy had just gulped down water using the Holy Grail, turns to the old knight, whom responds: You have chosen ... wisely.)

Yeah, it was like that.

For the next 10 minutes, I let the rest of the quintet chat amongst themselves about IndyCar, about life in general, etc., etc. I sat there, in my chair, enjoying an oatmeal stout and Baltimore crab cakes. Could it get better than that?

Jake Query (IndyCar pit & track reporter, and co-host of WNDE1260 Query & Shultz afternoon show) walked in. For the next two hours, the five of us chatted with Jake about IndyCar stories left and right, had several more beers, and it was an evening to remember. Not only for me, but for all of us at that table.

I had crab cakes again the next evening from a national chain, and they just weren't as good. I was told there are other restaurants that are world famous for crab cakes in Baltimore. Alas, my time there had come to an end after the race. Funny thing is, I haven't had crabmeat since - probably because I'm not sure whether anyone in Southern Illinois (or for that matter, the midwest) can top that crab cake meal.

(but if there are any restaurants that want to feed an unemployed guy their best crab cake dish for honest commentary, let me know!)

***

So that gets me caught up with last week Think Kit 2011 posts ... I was supposed to do one for Tuesday and Wednesday ... I'll start hammering on both of those Wednesday to "officially" catch me up.

I hope you're enjoying these - let me know. Since I'm blogging this 30-day experiment, I'm always open to blogging tips/tricks/etc. I'm open minded - fire away!

No comments:

Post a Comment